2011. június 28., kedd

Sirok Castle

On the east range of Mátra vulcanic peak can be found the robust block of Castle of Sirok. As a result of the reconstruction work taking place in the present days a solid road service leads to the monument so we can reach the many centuries old walls with comfortable strolls.

We take our footsteps to a special scene because the builders of the castle in the 13th century used the inner side of the mountain as well and they engraved tunnels and smaller or bigger rooms into the volcanic stone.

It was taken from Aba clan by King Károly's troops from Anjou dynasty, the people of the surrounding villages had to serve the lands of the castle. In the 1560's gun bastion lower castle was built but it was useless because the cowardly guards gave over the castle to the Turkish without any fight. More than hundred years past when the imperial mercenary took it back who partly exploded the defending walls.

Without owner the weather constantly destroyed its walls until 1960's since when the castle, which is in harmony with the nature, has been reconstructed in several steps. Nearby the so called Barát (Friend) and Apáca (nun) cliffs are situated. According to the folk tradition these cliffs are hiding a couple who grew stiff because of love unhappiness.
source: www.latvany-terkep.hu

2011. június 24., péntek

A new historical castle is on Castles of Slovakia:: Bratislava castle

Castles of Slovakia: Bratislava castle: "History The construction of a new castle of stone started in the 10th century, but it was not finished. Under King Stephen I of Hungary..."

Füzér Castle

On the Northen part of the Zemplén mountains stands the castle of Füzér in a cliff. You can drive your car until the parking lot, situated next to the houses of the village, from here a beautiful walking path leads to the hilltop.

Füzéri vár rekonstrukciós rajzaIt is likely that one of the members of the Aba family ordered to build the castle. It was first mentioned in a charter from 1264. Many times it was part of the King's properties, then it was possessed by baron Perényi. In 1526 Péter Perényi, guardian of the crown - after the crowning of János Szapolyai - hide the crown in the castle of Füzér for a year. In the XVI. century the owners of the castle fortified it in accordance with the military theory and built an Italian tower around the castle gate. The last pledge taker was Ferenc Bónis. The general of the town of Kassa ordered to set the castle on fire to avoid becoming a hiding place for the rebels.

Later Károlyi landlords commissioned Kálmán Lux, architect to carry out the most urgent preservation works on the castle, which was in a deteriorating condition.

From 1970 István Feld and Juan Cabello archeologists examined the remains. Since 1992 the excavation and restoration works are carried out under the supervision of Zoltán Simon. Meanwhile the society of castle friends was established by the local inhabitants. In the summer castle plays revive the history of the castle.
source: fuzer.hu

2011. június 18., szombat

Boldogkő Castle


The castle was built for the order of king Béla IV, after the invasion of the Mongols in 1241-42, by the Tomaj family. It was first mentioned in 1282, when it became the property of the king. In the next centuries the ownership of the castle changed several times, eg. it was owned by king László IV, Aba Amádé, Károly Róbert, the Drugeth family, king Zsigmond, Czudar Péter, Brankovics György, king Matthias, Szapolyai János, Báthori István, Martinuzzi Fráter György, the Bebek family, Rákóczi György I., etc. The Germans blew it up in 1702 - like nearly all other castles in the Kingdom of Hungary - after the lost war for independence led by Rákóczi Ferenc II. Its last owners were the Zichys before the nationalization in 1947.
source: karpatok

2011. június 17., péntek

A historical Hungarian castle on: Castles of Slovakia: Orava Castle

Castles of Slovakia: Orava Castle: "History Orava Castle (Hungarian: Árva vára, German: Arwaburg, Slovak: Oravský hrad) is situated on a high rock above Orava river. It i..."

Siklós Castle

Towering above the surrounding countryside, the Siklós Castle was built in the late 13th century. It was steadily expanded in the centuries to come, eventually belonging to the Garai estate. According to legend, the family jewels were guarded in the castle prison by a python 12 metres in length and as thick as a tree trunk. The snake even appears on the Garai family crest above the chapel entrance.

The Renaissance fortress was later owned by King Mátyás and his son János Corvin before passing to palatine Imre Perényi in 1515. Siklós fell into Turkish hands from 1543 to 1686 and was conquered by Kuruc forces during Rákóczi's war of independence. The exhibitions in the castle offer something for everyone, including relics of the castle itself, the town and the battles fought around it, masonry from the Middle Ages, and artefacts relating to hunting, painting and folk art. There is even an exhibition of gloves and related fashion through the ages, and the rich heritage of the Villány-Siklós wine region is also represented here. At the foot of the hill, Siklós offers much more to see, such as the restored Turkish monuments, the djami of Bey Malkoc and a beautiful Franciscan church. Weary travellers will appreciate the opportunity to unwind at the Harkány medicinal baths no more than a short drive away.
source: pelasta

2011. június 16., csütörtök


The medieval castle of Csesznek was built about 1263 by the Baron Jakab Cseszneky who was the swordbearer of the King Béla IV. He and his descendants have been called after the castle Cseszneky.
Between 1326 and 1392 it was royal castle when King Sigismund changed offered it for the Garai family in lieu of the Macsó Banate.
In 1482 the male line of the Garais died out and King Matthias Corvinus donated the castle to the Szapolyai family. In 1527 Baron Bálint Török took it up.
During the 16th century the Csábi, Szelestey and Wathay families were in possession of Csesznek. In 1561 Lőrinc Wathay repulsed successfully the siege of the Ottomans. However, in 1594 the castle was occupied by the Turkish troops, but already in 1598 the Hungarians recaptured it.
In 1635 Dániel Esterházy bought the castle and village and from that time on Csesznek was the property of the Esterházy family till 1945.
source: wikipedia